Image from Sports Illustrated I’ve never gotten into the world of sports (aside from must-watch high profile games/competitions like the Olympics) but athletes have always been fascinating to me. The way they train every day with such discipline, the way they push themselves and then take care of themselves when they recover after a game. The way they arrive at the game dressed so well and then on the court or on the field in their headphones, getting into their mental space to perform. The way they have pre-game and post-game rituals. The way they hire and rely on sports psychologists. They know the secrets to peak physical performance and peak rest. Makes one think — should we train like athletes for the daily things that we have to perform well, i.e. our corporate jobs? Glad to have stumbled across these articles today: Headspace’s Mindfulness and the Corporate Athlete of Today and Harvard Business Review’s The Making of a Corporate Athlete . Sharing some of my notes so that I...
I have a love-hate relationship with the news. I grew up seeing my dad read multiple newspapers every weekend. It was a habit that I wanted for myself too. It seems responsible to be on top of current events. I never did get into it consistently though. The news appeared to be constantly disappointing. It served me heartbreaking headline after heartbreaking headline, especially in the recent years. Tim Ferriss gave me an idea back then that it was okay to stop reading the news in the name of focus and mental health. He said he didn’t read any news because there was no purpose in keeping up to date just for the sake of being up to date; and when there’s something we absolutely should know, the information makes its way to us somehow anyway. I subscribed to that worldview for a while, a little relieved that Tim validated that. Then I subscribed to New York Times and only read that. It was foreign news, great writing, great drama, and it all seemed far-distanced from me,...
Who doesn’t love the Pareto principle? 80/20, or 80% of the consequences come from 20% of the causes. Finding the 20% always gets me excited. For example, a 15-minute meditation in the morning translates to a positive, clear mindset the whole day. Carving out a half-day at work to fix a process translates to efficient projects for the rest of the year. Low-hanging fruit and easy wins are the best! Especially when it comes to the important things in life that one really has to take care of, like diet and exercise. Those determine the baseline quality of your life. You want to keep your physical and mental health in tiptop shape but you also want it to be low-maintenance because you have a lot of other things to worry about. A couple of my life obsessions are productivity and health. Combining the two, I’d like to share my best health hacks and habits from several years of personal study of what works and what doesn’t. I'm still learning as I go along, happily collecting tips. I hop...
Comments
Post a Comment